Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: buying a mic

  1. #1
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Watup watup. Yee, i'm about to start talkign with my homie about making a film, and i start to need looking around for a good mic. I wanted a Sennheiser, but man are they expensive, even used! I found this Audio Technica ATR55, very cheap. Here are it's specs. Can anybody give me some opinions and impressions of this mic? Should i buy it, cuz remember i need a good one. Is this a good one?

    Element Frequency Response
    Condenser
    70 - 18,000 Hz

    "Normal": Unidirectional
    "Tele": Supercardioid
    "Normal": 1000 ohms
    "Tele": 2200 ohms
    Audio-Technica Model No:ATR-55


    What other good brands of shootgun/boom mics are there for film making that i should look into?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've never used that mike but have read that is popular with the Mini-DV crowd.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex, please delete the above post from me, I was still editing and spellchecking when I hit the wrong button [img]redface.gif[/img]


    I am very pleased with my Audio-Technica 814, I think? It's the shorter of the two, 814-815 model, I can't remember which ones which.. I also own a Electro-Voice RE-20 probably with most widely used radio station studio mike. While the Audio-Technica does not sound as good in close range as the RE-20, it's still very good. It's just not as ritch and full sounding, if you know what to listen for.

    have not A/B tested the Scnnheiser against the Audio-Technica. The point was mute since I to could not afford a Scnnheiser.

    Ironically back to back testing is the only way you will know for sure, and the one thing you should avoid in a production.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ..Thanks for the help. Now i've got some thigns to consider, a good start. This happy face says how i feel: [img]biggrin.gif[/img] yeah there we go. So i might just go with the audio-technica, but also gonna look for deals on better brands. Again, thanks for the help. Stay cool everybody [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •